US detected minimal disease
Working group OMERACT > US detected minimal disease
Objective of the subgroups work:
To define the minimal US changes in the joints of healthy individuals.
What is the contribution of the subgroup work to the OMERACT work?
underpinning work for ultrasound measurement of synovitis in all disease groups
Description of the previous work
Establish the minimal disease sub-group at OMERACT 2016.
· Summarised the US findings between healthy subjects and early arthritis patients in OMERACT 2016.
· Main limitations: Healthy subjects were recruited at a single centre and largely included younger subjects (median 35 years old).
· Minimal disease sub-group was establish to recruit a large cohort of healthy subjects across multiple countries.
2. Invitation to participate in Minimal Disease project sent to OMERACT centres at EULAR 2017 and ACR 2017.
3. Study commenced: Aug 2017
4. Study progress up until OMERACT 2018
· 691 healthy subjects recruited so far from 24 sites (11 countries).
5. Presented key findings at OMERACT 2018.
Reporting back of work done since ACR 2017
Discussed at OMERACT:
1. Presented key findings- see figure below.
· PD is very rare in healthy subjects.
· Effusion is relatively common in joints with high mechanical load.
· Synovial hypertrophy can be present in healthy subjects.
2. Currently median of healthy subjects recruited is 35.5 years old.
3. There appears to be significant variability at the joint level between centres
Next steps and discussion points
1. To expand recruitment with the emphasis of healthy individuals in the age range of 40-90 years old with a target recruitment of 1000 healthy subjects.
2. To collate images form all centres.
3. To review the images and grading for all subjects recruited-particularly centres with high variability.